Certified Fashion Trend Consultant
Certified Fashion Trend Consultant
Play Fashion Detective - Discover Trends and Create a Profitable Business!
FASHION TREND CONSULTANT CERTIFICATION COURSE
Train to be a Certified Fashion Trend Consultant
"The teachers were so nice and informative and really helped me grow as a fashion forecaster.
In this information packed course discover how local trends seen on the streets of the world’s capitals make their way globally into fashion design and production, how to take trend information and turn it into a money making service for your clients via seminars, Power Point® productions, videos, color trend reports and more. Discover how trend reporting helps drive the fashion industry and how you can benefit from trend knowledge by applying trend information to services you offer your client. Learn how to identify what’s currently in fashion, what’s going to be in fashion and what’s no longer fashionable. You’ll discover how to help your clients achieve up to date information on fashion ebbs and flows. Whether trend-spotting, future casting or trend analyzing this program will boost your reporting skills (written and oral).
The following is a basic topic Overview of the interactive video tutorials in this course. Course includes audio, video, interactions, mini-quizzes, exercises and exams:
- Introduction to Fashion Forecast/ Trend Consulting - course begins with an introduction to the career of the trend forecaster, it’s place in the fashion spectrum, what forecasters do, how they do it and why it is considered to be the most important fashion job in the modern fashion world.
- The Fashion Forecasting Process An overview beginning with forecasters (who, what, when, why, and how) and an introduction to the forecasting specialties.
- Introducing Innovation - Module presents diffusion of innovation as a framework for explaining how innovation moves through a social system, and the types of consumers who participate in each time period.
- The Direction of Fashion Change and Cultural Indicators The Module discusses fashion movement—trickle down, trickle up, trickle across, and fashion cycles—and illustrates the process with examples from fashion history and today’s marketplace.
- Color Forecasting - Module provides an introduction to color theory as a foundation for forecasting. Ideas associated with color cycles, the possible underlying patterns in the popularity of colors, are discussed. The focus of the Module is on the challenge of predicting color with sections on color research, organizations for professionals, and color planning in the industry.
- Textile Development - Module presents the basics of textile manufacturing as a precursor for understanding forecasting, including the sources for innovation. The focus of the Module is on the process of researching seasonal trends in texture, weight, pattern, and performance.
- The Look: Design Concepts and Style Directions - Module introduces the idea of trend multiplication as a long-term direction for fashion. The fashion map includes the cities hosting international Fashion Weeks, fashion off the runway, and street fashion. With thousands of new designs each season, how do forecasters sort out trends?
- Presenting the Forecast Communication is a forecaster’s job; - Module explains how to transform information into learning through creative presentation techniques. Topics include trend reporting, presentation tools such as software, and speaking techniques that help the forecaster connect with the audience.
- Resource bank and sample Power Point® Presentation Over 100 trend reports, trend resources and workshop samples for color, runway, street and fashion reporting. Executives are presented with solid business start-up concepts to begin earning money as Fashion Trend Consultants.
- Final Project; Trend Theme and Sampled Presentation
- Final Exams and essays
- Graduate Resources, Trend banks, video banks and free forms.
Expected Learning Outcomes for Students:
- Understand the multifaceted character of fashion
- Analyze the trajectory of fashion change
- Identify the concept of Zeitgeist as a framework for understanding and interpreting fashion change
- Understand the breadth and depth of the forecasting process
- Identify the role of forecasting in the textile and apparel industries
- Increase awareness of visualization as a tool of analysis and communication
- Understand the characteristics of a trend
- Understand the characteristics of long-term forecasting
- Cultivate skills in the methodology of long-term forecasting
- Appreciate color as a marketing tool
- Understand the process of forecasting color, taking into account color evolution, social and economic trends, consumer preferences, and other influences
- Become aware of the techniques forecasters use to synthesize color direction from cues, signs, hints, and traces in the cultural environment
- Understand the fiber and fabric product development cycle in relation to trend formation
- Understand the role of fiber and fabric trade organizations and fabric councils in disseminating trend information
- Cultivate skills in researching trend formation in the fiber and fabric product development process
- Understand the evolution of today's information environment
- Examine the concept of style tribes as an organizing principle
- Appreciate the skills and abilities required of forecasters
- Understand the fashion calendar and the interactions that create directional information
- Develop skills in identifying trends, analyzing visual and symbolic core concepts, and synthesizing directional information for clients
- Develop skills in research trends
- Explain the differences among data, information, knowledge, and wisdom
- Define the steps of presenting design as information design, interaction design, and sensory design in workshops, seminars, client meetings
- Introduce the guidelines for performance, effective visuals, and the use of audiovisual equipment
- Clarify the purpose and characteristics of trend reporting
- Explore traditional and leading edge presentation techniques and the role of technology
- Review key resources (including technology tools) executives can use to build a consulting business from trend forecasting, analysis and workshop/ presentations.
BONUS Course – Start Up Your Image Business Seminar
There are ten parts (10 one hour seminars) to this BONUS course and we will be reviewing each of these crucial start-up steps in depth. Students are offered tutorial videos within the seminar along with interactive exercises and will be tasked with projects designed to stimulate starting a business today! Participants have 30 days of access to the seminar and can review as many times as needed in that 30 days.
2. Getting to Know Your Image Business
3. Legal Basics
4. Marketing + Promotion
5. Branding + Logo, Image, Name
6. What Do I Charge?
7. Your Online Marketing Toolbox
8. Build a Successful Business (your services, speaking, customer service skills)
9. Creative Promoting
10. Business Start Up Info
Grade Scale is standard: Grading Policy – Overall assessment for this course is based on critical writings, discussion question responses, essays, group collaborations and pop quizzes.
- 90-100 = A
- 80-89 = B
- 70-79 = C
- 60-69 = D
- Below 60 = F
· Tests (3 @ 20% each) = 60%
· Project (Generational Life Style Survey Boomers, Gen Y, Gen X, Gen Z) = 10%
· Class participation/Discussion/Contributions to class file = 10%
· Final = 20%
· One Final Exam: 25 Multiple Choice, True/False, 3 Essay Questions
· Two Final Essays
· One Niche Market Statement Project
· One Final Styling Assignment - students must design a trend board and themed report
· Grade Standard Used:
· 90-100 = A
· 80-89 = B
· 70-79 = C
· 60-69 = D
· Below 60 = F
Textbook/s and Resources included:
- Fashion Trend Consultant Worksheets
- Fashion Terms Trends and Cycles
- Trend Resources List Fashion Videos
- Links to online course textbook segments
Course outcomes: After successful completion of this course students will be able to:
· Explain the theories and frameworks underlying forecasting
· Describe professional practices for each of the forecasting disciplines
· Discuss the timeline from short-term, tactical decisions to long-term, strategic ones
· Examine the factors involved in collecting data, planning, and presenting the forecast
· Use the presentation best practices for group seminars, workshops and client contracts
· Use this knowledge toward building and sustaining a viable career and income
· Present a professional color trend report
· Present a professional textile trend report
· Present a professional fashion trend report
· Present a professional fashion design trend report
· Fashion, Color, and Textile Trend Reports Included
· Resource Lists to Trend Reporting and Forecasting Research Sites
· Free Power Point® Presentation Templates
· Free Customizable Forms To Help You In Your New Business
· Free E-Book "This Business Called Image" With Step By Step Guidelines For Starting Your Business
· QR Code Badge Html Snippet To Add To Your Website For Easy Credential Referencing
· Free Graduate Directory Listing And Personal Web Page With Review/Star Options
· Ongoing Access To Global Image And Style Networking Groups
· Updated Daily News And RSS Fashion Feeds
· Monthly Industry News Blasts
· Ongoing Mentorship And Support
· Image Tools To Help You Grow Your Business
· Royalty Free Image And Fashion Photographs (discounted price for graduates)
· Royalty Free Power Point Seminars With Student And Presenter Manuals (discounted price for graduates)
· First Notifications For Events, Special Prices, New Courses
· Access to Free Webinars
· Notification of New Seminars
*CEU’s are NOT required in order to operate a consulting practice but are awarded as evidence of completion. Final certifications and reports will state the student’s name, course of study and CEU’s, ILU’s and Training Hours earned.
FSI CEU’s – FSI is a continuing education training institute and as such can offer Continuing Education Units. FSI CEU’s are awarded based on the following grade scale A through B = 80% to 100% score and the following achievements: Completion of all training modules, quizzes, discussion group participation, learning objectives, training objectives, feedback, evaluation and testimonial.
One CEU equals ten contact training hours. FSI learner training hours are recorded within the learning portal. Students and administrators have access to these reports at all times.
CEUs were created as a way to document education and training in specifically developed activities for adult learners in a variety of disciplines. One CEU is defined as “10 contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction and qualified instruction.”
FSI created its CEU program based on the fundamentals set down by I.A.C.E.T. (the standard for continuing education credits). FSI’s instructional programs seek to enrich graduate’s knowledge, improve their skills, and develop their business opportunities. FSI training also adheres to the core competencies for image study set down by A.I.C.I.org. These core competencies are noted in each course introduction.
I.L.U. = FSI is an authorized ILU awarding entity. FSI awards ALL graduates International Learning Units. The ILU is the standard awarding unit for all professional/ certificate based online courses. The ILU teaches to the objectives of the course and hence the student achieves professional knowledge and is tested for this achievement and to earn certification status.
In order to earn ILU’S students must achieve all learning objectives listed, pass a final exam with an 80% score, complete all essays, pop quizzes, contribute to discussions and demonstrate appropriate verbal and written etiquette. The competencies for earning this award are detailed within the course portal on the students account. One ILU is equal to ten hours of recorded training time.
TH (Training Hours) = this course awards training hours. Training hours can be used to record achievement for required documentation such as the AICI FLC application. Graduates of this course are provided with an officially documented tally of their training, study and online time participation.
Earning CEU’s is not a requirement for studying with FSI, however, learners who need CEU’s in order to fulfill other educational requirements (advanced applications for example) will need to complete their own associations approval prior to CEU awarding by FSI. Contact us if you have questions or concerns regarding CEU’s.
All graduates of FSI receive an online education digital badge upon graduation. This digital badge indicates they have achieved education from a Certified Education Credit and Training Hour Awarding Course. Digital badges are recognized as proof that students have successfully completed disciplines in online fashion education and have passed final exams that qualify them to train and work in their badge title discipline. FSI digital badges are embedded with code custom to the student’s achievements. When placed on your website (or other templates) these badges direct your potential employers, clients or school admins to your certification skill set.
*Only those graduates with registered IP addresses and complete course results are eligible to use this digital badge. Students successfully completing requirements for certification will be sent access to links for posting their badge upon course close. Clients seeking confirmation of legitimate badge use and graduate details can contact us at any time. We act as a powerful referral and resource network for our graduates and other professionals. Students are encouraged to list their websites, blogs and professional credentials with us at no charge.
Certification: learners completing all course expectations and objectives successfully are awarded PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION from Fashion Stylist Institute.
For more detailed questions regarding the course process you can also visit our F.A.Q. forum:
Graduate feedback about this course:
Such a great class. Everything online was so easy for me to use when I had the time. My schedule is so full and I discovered that if I planned for an hour each day I looked forward to studying. I learned so much in this trend course and I know I can start offering my clients a high quality trend report analysis. Thank you, Cory Sanderson
Dear Ms. Armour, The Certified Fashion Trend Consultant course is the third one that I have taken from the Fashion Style Institute. As a life learner developing a second career, I have a high expectation from private institutions. The course must be delivered in a professional format and be flexible enough to work around my demanding schedule. The curriculum must be well organized, include high-quality content, provide logical instruction with relevant industry examples, be and up-to-date, and worthwhile. Above all, the course must fulfill the original intent behind my purchase, it must be supportive to fulfilling the goal that initially inspired me to register. A tall order, for certain. Did it delivery? Yes... and then some. The course fulfilled on those requirements. In fact, I was delighted because the content was more comprehensive than I expected. Plus, your personal passion for the fashion industry and education oozes out in every module. I enthusiastically look forward to another course with Fashion Style Institute. Thank you for the course, I know that what I learned will help me immediately and for the rest of my career. Sincerely, Thai L.
Dear Ms Armour, Thank you for creating the courses. It has been a great insights source for me, regardless I've been in the retail merchandising for 20 years! It has been great experience to gain variety of different perspectives and what relevant now in the industry. In this evolving world, it is a great tool to get access on what relevant now in the industry, you gave us so many resources to tap into this information. Best regards, Melia P. Jakarta, Indonesia
Optional: If you would like to pay via Paypal click paypal AT CHECKOUT.
*PayPal offers Bill Me Later for payments if you are approved. When you check out with Paypal you will be taken to their website where you will log in or create an account, sign up for BillMeLater and then continue the checkout process. See FAQ for details.